Monday, January 11, 2010

Like Many Weekends the New Vampire Weekend is too Short


I remember discussing Vampire Weekend and their self-titled album with a friend of mine at a party in summer of 2008. We expressed strong support for the use of strings that sounded right out of Viennese concert hall in the 1800s and the Graceland-ish use of African drums. We enjoyed that these seemingly overly privileged kids from New York accepted who they were and made music of what they knew. It was odd, here you had an item that smacked of Pop, but in concept was very punk without being Pop Punk (thankfully). The discussion led inevitably to the idea of the backlash that was awaiting these gentlemen and the scrutiny to which their second album would be subjected.

Speak of the devil, here she is. Vampire Weekend's sophomore offering, Contra. I have taken some time to give this album a few listens and I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The album starts off with a song, Horchata, that sounds very similar to the previous offering. It utilizes the same drums that make you believe you're listening to a lost Paul Simon track. This sound continues to carry through the album but is joined by (I can't believe I'm saying this) even more dancy keys. I believe that this is due to Rotsam Batmanglij's experience in his side project, Discovery (named for the Daft Punk album of the same name). Songs like California English, Giving up the Gun, and Diplomat's Son show the most influence by the side project (and that's a good thing in my eyes). Those of you who know me and my love for sing-a-long songs will know instantly upon listening to it, White Sky, is my initial favorite on the album (I'm sure it will change with deeper listenings). The strings remain although I feel that they take a step back in order to highlight the heavier use of synth and sampling. For me, this results in a less full sound but more catchiness to the album. That being said, the ending ballad, I Think Ur a Contra, is haunting and beautiful; and a wonderful use of the strings.

Verdict? Vampire Weekend has managed to stay true to their polished roots while curiously expanding into new territory. They continue to deliver cleverly worded and titled songs that are both catchy and still musically impressive. I feel that it is not as cohesive as the previous album, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I enjoy the variety of sound that they provide, while still having that Vampire Weekendiness that I have come to love and appreciate. Even with all this, the album clocks in at just over half an hour, and one wonders how long it will be before they can perform a live show that warrants a set list that doesn't say, "Play Everything". Give it a listen B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment