Tuesday, March 9, 2010

We are Very aMUSEd


All dumb puns aside, I have only been to one other arena show in my life, and that was Tenacious D on their Pick of Destiny tour. I feel like as great as the D is, their idea of arena show is as much of a caricature of what it's supposed to be like as their band is a caricature of what a rock band is supposed to be like. I have been advised in the past that Muse shows are something else to behold. I've been told that they have light shows that rival bands that were great in the 60's and 70's.

The concert started with the Silversun Pickups. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Thanks to Lazy Eye, I had all but written them off as some limp-wristed, pussy-pop rock band along the lines of Goo Goo Dolls (yes, I'm aware of their original more punk-ish roots, but lets be honest, Iris? Kill yourselves). To be honest, given the sound I heard at the concert (and I admit I am partial to live performances) Silversun Pickups were a perfect compliment to Muse with their high energy, fast rock. I couldn't really make out any words in that auditorium, none with any meaning to me at least. I did notice that their drummer seems to have the highest crash of any drummer I've ever seen play. He was literally reaching over his head with hook shot like motions to hit this thing. Overall a good set.


Throughout the Silversun Pickups' set, I was taking notice of these three towers on stage. I leaned over to my friend and told him I really hoped that they were going to light up. I was not disappointed. As the music started with that familiar keyboard riff, the towers lit up like buildings. The LEDs changed to a picture of staircases with silhouettes marching up the stairs. Eventually those silhouettes began falling and as they did, so did the LED screens, to reveal that what I thought were towers were actually three platforms with three huge LED rigs hanging above them. I don't think I've ever seen such elaborate set design that was set up for such a spectacle. Almost immediately the crowd was immersed in a lattice of eerie green laser light. If my mind was already shattered by the lights and spectacle, the shredding guitar and lead vocals of Matt Bellamy pieced it back together pretty damn fast. Now I've always really enjoyed Muse and their high energy songs that are so epic they border on rock opera; but to see it in this venue like this, any words I tried to use would only short changing the experience. I should however mention that I had already bought merch for some friends of mine for one reason or another could not make the show; but after seeing the opening I had to leave and buy a shirt for myself.

The platforms lowered to the stage (a relief because I was wondering if they were just going to stay on these pedestals throughout the night), and the show really kicked off. I've often told people that if I could play guitar, I'd love to play the guitar the way Erik Bruner-Yang of Pash plays guitar. I can now expand that to Matt Bellamy. During an extended solo, Bellamy drops to his knees for an extended shred. Who does that any more? Not many shows that I see. Not any more. This was only a prologue to the archetypical rock show that was in store for me.


Keeping with Bellamy and his showmanship, let us please discuss the piano. I noticed that they had supplementary musicians located in the back of the stage, one of which was playing keys. I was hoping this did not mean I wasn't going to see Bellamy play. Luckily I was not let down in this area. Once again on the pedestals the band played through United States of Eurasia and Feeling Good. All the while, Matt Bellamy was playing on perfectly white grand piano. The piano was fitted with lights on the underside of the cover that lit up in correspondence to what he was playing. Showmanship. Learn it, other bands out there that aren't Muse.


I hope you don't think because I haven't mentioned them, that they weren't as good as showmen. Because bassist, Christopher Wolstenholme and drummer, Dominic Howard deserve just as much praise. Bellamy even left the stage for a moment, leaving the two on stage to have their own rock out session. As if the pedestal were not cool enough, the center pedestal where Dominic was located had a second, circular pedestal on it. Christopher joined Dominic on this pedestal as it was lifted to its original height. The bass and drum duet that followed was incredible. And this sonic miracle to which we were being treated became one for the eyes as well as the thing started effing rotating! I'm pretty sure I died and went to heaven. Shows don't get any better than that. They just don't.

The band closed their encore out with one of my favorite songs, Knights of Cydonia. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do yourself a favor and watch the video. Again, as if the music wasn't incredible enough what I saw was icing on the cake. Hopefully by now you've checked out the video and can now understand why the fact that I saw kids in the pit galloping around on imaginary horses was all at once hilarious and awesome. At the end of the song, giant smoke geysers erupted all around the edge of the stage. Perfect end to what I would call the perfect show.

No comments:

Post a Comment