Friday, December 31, 2010

Roctoberfest: Epilogue

I know by this point (11/5) it was no longer Roctober, but decided to tag this on because it was the 5th straight week I had a show to see.

Ra Ra Riot @ 9:30 Club

I am beginning to think that I am cursed to never see these guys play a full set again for the rest of my life. I discovered Ra Ra Riot nearly 4 years ago when they opened for Jukebox the Ghost at Rock and Roll Hotel or vice versa, I can't remember. I instantly fell in love with their brand of Baroque Pop, as well as their female violinist and cellist (call me!). Their use of the strings to accent their bouncy pop. I am always surprised by the darker lyrical content in their catchy music, but it seems to work well for them.

At any rate, every subsequent time Ra Ra Riot has played the DC area, I have been out of town. When I was able to see them open for Cold War Kids and Death Cab for Cutie at DAR Constitution Hall, we came late only to catch 2-3 songs of the set. This time was no different. My concert going companion asked me if it was an early show out of the blue on the day of the show, so I looked it up only to discover that the show was indeed an early show. When we got to the venue they were mid set (although I believe we were able to catch at least 3/4 of the set). I did not have much time to give The Orchard much of a listen, but it seems to be a natural progression. I was actually rather impressed with vocals from cellist, Alexandra Lawn. I heard nearly every song I wanted except for my favorite, Can't You Tell. I will continue to try to see a full set from these upstarts from Upstate New York. If nothing else, but to continue my ever expanding collection of their concert tees (sooo comfortable, and stylish to boot).

No comments:

Post a Comment