Saturday, September 18, 2010

Black Keys: Deserve a Standing Ovation


Most of you readers know my view on DAR Constitution Hall: I think it's great, acoustically speaking. There's really not a bad seat in the house; but that's the key word: "seat". It's a seated venue, and unless you're with a really, really good crowd, chances are you're going to have to spend some portion of that concert in your seat or feeling like an asshole for standing up in front of people who are clearly sitting down. Aside from your ability to really "get into it", tickets to shows there usually cost you an arm and a leg.

It is for this reason that I generally will not see a show at Constitution Hall. I will make exceptions for the following reasons:
1) I have never seen the band before; and I really want to see them right then and there.
2) I feel that being seated will not take away from my experience.
3) I can get a ticket for less than face value.

Now, as I've indicated in both my review of Sea of Cowards and Brothers, I have really come to appreciate the garage rebirth movement, especially in bands that put an emphasis on blues components. It is for that reason that I've fallen in love with the Akron duo, The Black Keys. Their bare bones, stripped-down approach to rock infused with working class blues is something that moves me to the core. It's not the most complicated music. But it's loud, it gets me moving, and with the release of Brothers, it's soulful. When I found out that they were playing Constitution Hall I begrudgingly bought a ticket to the show.

We were located at the back of the auditorium in the stadium seating about 6-7 rows back. I took note already that the people in front of me looked like "sitters" and that I would likely be relegated to my seat for the duration of the show. The venue was surprisingly full for the opening band, The Morning Benders.

I mentioned the Morning Benders ironically, in my blog of my most significant music bender I went on a few months ago. They have a strong pop sensibility that gives you an idea of the Shins with a dash of Beatles. This is actually a band, that having listened to their album, that I feel I could watch seated. I was expecting a decent set, but was really blown away by their live performance. They seem a much more subtle band on their album, with usually soft sentimental songs. But live, they really bring the noise. They were loud, with lead guitarist/vocalist, Chris Chu, dropping to kneeling power stance for heavily distorted solos. I was impressed and slightly tempted to check them out headlining at the Black Cat later this year.

After the Morning Benders and some real quick set up, Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney sauntered onto the stage. I have to say, that the cost of the ticket was money well spent. Right off the bat, they ripped into Thickfreakness. It was incredible. Auerbach's guitar playing is something to be seen. He's able to shred as he kicks out acorss the stage. In the documentary, It Might Get Loud, Jack White says that he likes guitars with imperfections because he likes the struggle and the idea of bending a guitar to your will. Auerbach's style seems to be more like he bends with the guitar in what is truly an amazing dance. Carney's drums are loud and go perfectly with the music. I never really paid attention to the drums on any of the albums; but was really impressed with his live performance. The band played a good mix of old stuff and had the touring band come on in the middle of their performance to start with Everlasting Light, off of the new album. The band stayed with them until the last two songs, Your Touch and I Got Mine.

They had a three song encore with the full band. After an entire concert of hard loud songs, I needed them to come back with something soft. They did not disappoint and came back with a soulful rendition of Too Afraid to Love You. They also played Sinister Kid (one of my favorites off of Brothers) in a manner that was way different from the album version, but it was still incredible. I had a great time, despite having to sit through over half the concert. The people in front of me were standing for the first three songs or so before what I assume was the girlfriend sat down. Not wanting to leave his girl alone, the boyfriend followed suit making me the asshole who would be standing in front of seated people. So I sat, casting dark, soul-shattering stares at the girl who had damned me to seated hell. Regardless, the Black Keys in concert is something you need to experience. If they ever come back to a smaller venue, I'm in, or I'll try to get floor tickets next time because it looked like they stood for the entire show.

No comments:

Post a Comment