Thursday, August 19, 2010

Shows, Shows, and More Shows

It seems more and more that I am writing only about shows I've gone to see. Or music. What started out as a generalized blog has quickly turned into a music blog. I want to correct this in the future; but it's a function of me constantly seeing shows and having little extra time to do more than write about them. I will say that I've had a few ideas for further douche blogs and even a fiction piece or two rolling around in the old noggin for some time. As far as autobiographical things, I wish I had more to write about, but unfortunately my life is relatively uneventful save for the multitude of shows I see.


Deer Tick:

I've already mentioned my thoughts on Deer Tick. Without rehashing it too much: I really like their style of Alt Country mixed with some folk and indie as well. At a live show, they sound precisely the way they do on CD, except louder with better solos. I was pleased at the mix of War Elephant and Born on Flag Day ACL:MF, but I felt that the Rock and Roll Hotel show was a little heavy on War Elephant. I'm not certain because I had yet to listen to The Black Dirt Sessions, but I feel that it didn't make much of a showing. Born on Flag Day was nearly absent from the show in general. I feel like this normally wouldn't make much of a difference to me if Born on Flag Day wasn't my favorite album; but it is, so it was upsetting.

That isn't to say that I didn't like the show. I did. Just as at ACL:MF, John McCauley, lead singer, walked out on stage the epitome of the hard rocker living the life. In the sweat box that is the Rock and Roll Hotel in the midst of summer (or any season really) a shirtless McCauley sauntered on stage sporting the same white aviators he wore in Austin. Right to business they cut into their first song with all the grit and pain that McCauley's voice suggests. Later they impressed with a cover of Tom Petty's Breakdown. I wouldn't expect much dancing at a show like this; but I was impressed to a few people cutting a rug. Alright, DC, maybe you're not as concerned at what people think of you after all.

Tokyo Police Club:

I'll be the first to admit that despite their near pop-punk sensibilities, Tokyo Police Club still has enough indie flair that I find their music catchy albeit similar sounding after a while. I had a friend already going to the show and since Freelance Whales were opening for them, I couldn't quite resist.


We had a few beers at the downstairs bar as there was an opening band, Arkells, even before Freelance Whales. Unfortunately I feel like we were down there for too long, because Freelance Whales had already taken the stage. They came to the stage with their ghostly indie folk and bright sounds looking a lot like a very early Arcade Fire. For a second I was wondering if there were more Freelance Whales fans there than TPC fans. They closed with Generator 2nd Floor, and I have to say, every time I hear that song it gets better and better; more so live.


Tokyo Police Club plays a great live show. The energy never drops even during slower numbers, and they sound exactly like the album but more so. Bassist and lead vocalist, Dave Monk provides clear vocals and driving bass lines. Keyboardist, Graham Wright delivers great energy providing good stuff on keys, synth and random percussion. Fun show, and easily have a greater command of their discography than Deer Tick apparently does.

No comments:

Post a Comment