Tuesday, December 29, 2009

ACLMF Day Three: Mudpies and Exhaustion

If previous days have served as lessons in different matters, then Day 3 at Zilker had to have served as a lesson in just how much my aging body can handle. I don't know if it was two festival shows back to back or the fact that the previous day was spent in a torrential downpour; but I was already exhausted. While it was easy to stand and wait for sets to start the other two days, I found myself skipping out early on sets I didn't really care about to stake out a dry spot to sit and wait for other shows. Having learned my lesson from the previous day, I had dressed appropriately for the almost assured downpour. The good folks at weather.com had assured me that there was a 70% chance of rain, so I dressed in appropriate garb (flip flops, board shorts, and a grubby t-shirt I didn't really care about). At first the day started out just as bleak and dreary as the day before, but by the end of the first act, the skies had cleared. Zilker reeked of mud and shit and didn't help the empty stomach I had. After we filled the water bottles it was off to see the first act of the day:

The Dodos:

The Dodos were easily the biggest let down of the concert. I was thoroughly impressed with both albums Visiter and Beware the Maniacs. The driving drumbeats and wistful lyrics were great draws for me. I found ultimately, that I was unimpressed with the live show. Neither of the members had anything in the way of stage presence, and if you're an early show at a festival that's something you're going to need if you want to get the people to move. Additionally I suppose I have only listened to the Dodos in mixes I've made for myself and rarely as an album. This was likely my first experience hearing more than four songs in a row outside of my initial listening of each album. What I had not noticed was how much their music just starts to run together after too long. We had debated on seeing the Dodos at the Rock and Roll Hotel in DC the week after ACLMF, but decided that our time would be better spent at a bar instead after this set.

With no real sets that interested us until 4 o'clock, Ryan and I set out for the Rock Island Hideaway, an area set aside to watch college football games on Saturday and NFL games on Sunday. I caught up on my fantasy stats for awhile while Ryan grabbed a nap. For a time, I even indulged in a short power nap myself. I woke to the sounds of the B-52's and decided to enjoy the show from the Hideaway's patio.

The B-52's:


Despite growing up during the '80s I have never considered myself to be a child of the '80s. I didn't start listening to music that wasn't my parents' until the early '90s so I don't have the same fascination with what people refer to as "'80s music". That being said, I think everyone can get behind such hits as Love Shack and, thanks to Family Guy, Rock Lobster. I can tell you right now I did not stay for the whole set, and as a result I did not hear either of those songs. Even without those hits I can say that I still enjoyed myself. The B-52's brought a sort of manic psychedelia to their music that kept me interested. Well, at least until I had to get over to the BMI stage for The Heartless Bastards.

The Heartless Bastards:


This band, like Cotton Jones, was selected based on the description listed in the ACLMF program guide. Having set their roots in the same bluesy garage revival as The Black Keys (even on the same label), I could not ignore such a band. Front woman, Erika Wennerstrom, has a smoky voice that fits perfectly with bluesy rock churned out by Michael Wienel on lead guitar. I was somewhat impressed by what I heard, but not enough to seek them out. A good live band, but maybe in a smaller venue.

We were then supposed to see State Radio, splinter group of Dispatch, but were instead treated to Brett Dennen who had just been called up to do the Late Show with David Letterman. Dennen had a light playful sound that brought to mind Pat McGee or Jason Mraz with a little bit of an island vibe to it. It did not, however, hold our interest and we opted to stake out a spot for Arctic Monkeys.

Arctic Monkeys:


Now, I have been told that I have only listened to an inferior, more recent record, and therefore did not know of Arctic Monkey's true rock prowess. Even so, I felt that this would be a good place to find out their skills. Frontman, Alex Turner, has lots of witty banter and swagger that can be expected of a brit-rock lead. I feel however, that it just was not enough to carry the band. I enjoy brit-rock as much as the next guy, but it can get old, and as tired as I was, I needed more to get me excited. Eventually both Ryan and I grew tired and headed off to stake out a place to sit before Passion Pit.

Passion Pit:


Passion Pit opened for the Phoenix show in Central Park I saw two weeks earlier. I had grown to really enjoy their music since I had to choose between their show and a TV on the Radio show at 9:30 Club, and chose TV on the Radio (no regrets there). I find their music insanely happy and infectious, although the falsetto has been known to turn off others. The energy that the entire band brings to stage is incredible and has the crowd jumping moments after the first note is played. They started their set by allowing a concert attendee to read a poem he had written, a thoughtful gesture. Once the music began the over-sized balloons and glow sticks began flying. I found it odd, the same happened at the Central Park show, but the glow sticks did not have the same effect with the sun still out. Hopefully, in the coming year, their notoriety will grow after having played with Phoenix and their single, Sleepyhead, making its appearance in national commercials.

The Dead Weather:


The Dead Weather was both the day's "pleasant surprise" and "rock and roll" band. Although, I can't believe I wasn't expecting the show I got with a pedigree that includes the razor blade vocals of Alison Mossheart of the Kills, and the eponymous Jack White of the White Stripes. The music played by the Dead Weather is still in the style of the garage revival out of Detroit, but on a whole new level. I find it more intriguing that Jack White is on Drums. My friend Ryan put it best, "What is it like to be lead guitar for this band? Knowing that at any moment the drummer can just walk over and be like, 'No no no, let me show you how it's done'". Mossheart's vocals and attitude embody rock and roll as evidenced by her impromptu cigarette break held midstage as she lay in front of a fan. Instant classic.

Girl Talk:


I was concerned that the sun would not be down by 7:00 rendering a light show ineffective and the infamous mash-up artist known as Girl Talk's set at half power. Luckily the sun had indeed begun to set, and by the third song we were one gigantic dance party. This was like nothing I'd ever experienced. I take that back, I suppose I experienced the previous night with Ghostland Observatory, but I could not grasp the scope at Ghostland sheerly because I never took the time to look around me because of my 5-person dance party group members were all consuming. Since I attended this set alone, while Ryan sought out my much recommended Mighty Cone, I had the opportunity to look around at what must have been a 15,000-person dance party. My friend, Pete, told me that Girl Talk's set killed at Virgin Fest, but I could not conceive what seemed to be a club-friendly act doing well in the great wide open. How I was wrong. Girl Talk took music that I find obnoxious and ignorant mixed with music that I appreciated and poured auditory orgasm into my ears. Good Times had by all.

Pearl Jam:


If one needs any proof that the '90s have returned look no further than ultimate headliner for ACLMF 2009, Pearl Jam. Forget the fact that they are rock icons and likely the most noted band from my generation's high school years. Their music has stood the test of time and likely will. So it's easy to understand that even after immediately running toward the stage after Girl Talk's set, we were easily 3/4 of a mile from the stage the crowd was so huge. Pearl Jam was not playing opposite anyone else unlike the other headliners during the festival, so they had full command of the crowd. From where I was standing, the jumbotron screens were about the size of the screen on my iPod. That fact, in addition to our exhaustion made it reasonable in the heads of Ryan and I, that it was okay to listen to few songs, and leave early and get home and finally rest up. While I understand the significance of a band like Pearl Jam, and respect it, I was never a psycho fan for it. I'm slightly more aware than your average radio fan, so that's what I told myself as I shuffled (with a little shame mind you) my way toward the cab lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment